Who is eligible to participate?
Anyone who has obtained a degree (Bachelor's or Masters) less than 10 years ago (i.e. 1997 onwards).
The aim of our symposium is to bring together young researchers who are either currently working on their PhD, or have recently obtained their degree and are going to start their PhD in the future. Young postdoctoral researchers are also welcome. Preference will be given to applicants who have obtained their degree less than 4 years ago (i.e. 2003 onwards).
New registrations are no longer being accepted.
How does the registration process work?
After applying online, your application will be reviewed by the symposium committee. You will be notified if your application is accepted, and you must then confirm your attendance, submit an abstract (if desired) and pay the registration fee.
- In order to apply to the symposium, you must follow the Registration link and enter your personal details. You can also submit an abstract and indicate whether you want to present a poster and/or give a short talk. After applying, you will be sent an automatic confirmation e-mail. You will also be given a registration number. Record it, as it will be needed for subsequent registration steps.
- All new applications will be periodically reviewed by the symposium committee and evaluated (evaluation process). The application might be rejected, accepted, or put on the waiting list. In any case, the applicant will be notified.
- If accepted, you must confirm your attendance by September 30, 2007.
- Upon confirmation of attendance, you will receive a link via e-mail for online payment of the registration fee (see reimbursement section). The fee must be paid before September 30, 2007. Due to technical reasons, your credit card will not be charged immediately.
How will I know if I have been accepted?
We will notify you by e-mail.
We review the new applications every two weeks. It might take some time for you to get an answer. We will notify you whether you have been accepted or not as soon as we can.
If I submit an abstract, do I have to present a poster/give a short talk?
The aim of the symposium is to facilitate scientific communication between researchers.. Posters and short talks are a great way to present your research.
Will I be selected to give a short talk?
Due to time limitations, only a limited number of participants will be selected to give short talks. We will select the speakers after closing the application deadline. We will notify you whether you have been selected shortly afterwards.
I registered but did not receive a confirmation e-mail. What should I do?
Please contact us. Chances are that there was a temporary problem with the website.
How are the 1500 characters of the abstract submission counted?
The application counts each entered character according to HTML conventions.
SPACE is counted as 1 character.
RETURN counts as four characters (RETURN in HTML is expressed as <br>).
Symbols might count for more than 1 character (e.g. "é" counts for 8 characters) . Try to use standard english characters if possible.
When will I be reimbursed?
You will be reimbursed after the symposium.
We need you to hand in or send (by post) ALL your receipts immediately after the symposium. We will transfer money to an account of your choice.
Is the registration fee reimbursed?
€85 will be reimbursed (out of a total of €100).
Once your application to the symposium has been accepted, you will be required to pay the registration fee in advance (€100). After attending the symposium, you will be reimbursed €85. If, for whatever reason, you do not attend the symposium, the registration fee will not be reimbursed.
Are travel expenses reimbursed?
Yes, provided that you choose the cheapest method of transportation.
Thanks to a generous grant by Marie Curie Actions, we will be able to reimburse all travel expenses to all the accepted participants, provided that they choose the cheapest means of transportation (see below).
- Flight: we will be able to reimburse the cheapest flight and public transportation to and from the airport.
- Train: provided the cost is less than or equal to that of a flight, we will reimburse 2nd class train tickets plus public transportation to and from the train stations.
- Car: reimbursement is also possible for participants who wish to drive here, up to the cost of the cheapest equivalent public transportation.
- Taxis are not reimbursed.
What do you mean by "cheapest means of transportation"?
Shortly put, book your travel as if you were paying for it yourself.
Wherever you come from, we require that you book your travel AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after you have been accepted in order to keep the price down. If you book late and get a very expensive flight/train because of that, we will reimburse you only up to what the ticket would have cost had you booked at a reasonable time. Don't wait!
For general advice about getting to Heidelberg and to EMBL, see Travel Information.
We do not reimburse taxis.
Will my travel be reimbursed if I stay in Heidelberg longer than the duration of the symposium?
Yes, subject to conditions.
We will reimburse your travel costs regardless of when you actually arrive in and leave from Heidelberg, provided that we do not incur costs that are higher than those of a trip lasting the duration of the symposium, i.e. arriving on the 24th and leaving on the 28th. If your differently-timed travel arrangements are more expensive than they would be for the indicated time period, we would only reimburse you up to the cost of the latter.
Do I have to pay for accommodation?
We will provide FREE accommodation in twin shared rooms to all participants on the nights of the 24th to the 27th inclusive.
If you wish to stay longer, you will have to book the extra nights and pay for them yourself. See the previous question about travel reimbursement.
Will meals be provided?
All meals will be provided free of charge either at EMBL or at the hotel from the morning of the 25th to the evening of the 27th.
Outside this time frame, meals will be paid by the participants.
We will obviously not reimburse you if you decide to eat in a restaurant.
When does the symposium start?
We have scheduled the first talks on the morning of October 25.
When does the symposium end?
The last talks will be in the late afternoon of October 27. However, the symposium itself will end with the party on the night of October 27.